Saturday, August 20, 2011

Charles Ernest Bell and Thelma A. Allen - married August 20, 1936

Springfield Daily Republican, Springfield, Mass., Friday, August 21, 1936
"Miss Thelma Allen Weds Charles Bell"
"West Brookfield, August 20 - Miss Thelma A. Allen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Helen[sic], and Charles Ernest Bell, son of Mrs. Charles Bell, were married this afternoon at the home of the groom on Myrick street.  The double ring service was performed by Rev. Oliver S. Weise, pastor of the First Congregational church, assisted by Rev. J. Howard Gaylord, pastor of the Congregational church at New Braintree.  The wedding march was played by Mrs. William Richardson."
"The bride was attended by her sister, Mrs. Permelia Froton, and the best man was George H. Bell, brother of the groom.  The bride wore white crepe with hat to match.  the matron of honor wore pink crepe with matching hat.  Both carried arm bouquets of roses."
"The couple left for a wedding trip to Niagara Falls.  On their return the will be at home in the Bell home on Myrick street.  Miss Helen[sic] has been bookkeeper at the Quaboag Roofing company.  She is a member of the Congregational church and the Grange.  Mr. Bell is employed at the Warren Steam Pump company.  He is chairman of the town Republican committee."

Thelma and Ernest lived in the home on Myrick street and raised two daughters there.  Mr. Bell could sometimes be observed tending to bee hives which he kept on the property.  Ernest was an accountant at Warren Steam Pump company for thirty-seven years.  He also was a deacon emeritus in the Congregational church, and served the town as a member of both the School Committee and the Board of Registrars.  Thelma served for a time as town tax collector.  For eighteen years, she was clerk of the West Brookfield Water Department.  She was an active member of the Congregational church and  the American Legion Auxiliary.